Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Go For Raisins!

I've only known raisins in my macaroni salad, in my buko salad, maja blanca, valenciana, in a some sort pork or chicken dish. It's considered to be a special ingredient so it was as if a sin at home to eat it as it was. When my mother prepared her dessert, the last to be put were the raisins. My brothers and I would sometimes act like crying, begging our mother to give us some before she'd allow the raisins to dive down to the sea of other fruits.



With my eyes in a slow-mo mode, I would watch the raisins fell down from the plastic container to the bowl of already white-covered fruits and watch them giving beauty to the whole dessert. My mother would then stir up everything and the black raisins would gradually be unseen. It had become white. Ahhh... No excitement anymore but then, when I started to eat the salad, I would search through the fruits in my mouth and when I tasted the raisins, I would shout. "I'm eating raisins! Yey! I have raisins!" Hehe... That's how it was when we were young.

Recently, I started shifting to raisins as a snack. I always craved for it. It's so delicious that I could't get enough of it. It's like Pringles ( a potato chip snack) "Once you pop, you can't stop." :) I heard that it was healthy. So before I got worried of having too much sweets, I searched for the benefits of eating raisins. And voila!!! I'm so glad I was addicted to it. :) Here's an excerpt from an article:

Antioxidants: Raisins are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect our bodies against free radical damage.

Energy: Raisins contain many B vitamins known for boasting energy. I personally eat raisins for this very reason. Raisins are also high in calories, which is important for athletes.

Fiber: Raisins are a good source of fiber, which is important for your body to stay regular.

Healthy teeth: Don't let the sticky and sweetness of the raisin fool you. Raisins do not cause cavities and gum disease, and rather promote oral health because of the oleanolic acid found within them. This acid is very effective in killing the bacteria that cause cavities and periodontal dental disease.

Eyesight: Raisins are also a preventative measure for Macular Degeneration, which is the health of your eyesight.

Bone Health: Raisins contain Calcium which in known for causing bone health.

On top of all the other wonderful health benefits raisins are fat free, cholesterol free, and low in sodium.


How can something be so delicious and so healthy at the same time! Ohhh... I so love raisins! Go raisins! Go raisins! :)

No comments:


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...