Saturday, August 25, 2018

Light Bulb Moment


Hey you all! That is, if my past readers are still here. It's been more than 2 years! I hope you are doing very well wherever you are. And to my new readers, hi. Thank you for bumping into my tiny side of the world. Just a quick life update. I am still a student finishing my dissertation for PhD in Math degree. Oh, these years of studying got me into a lot of experiences that I am gonna save to share the next time. 

What really got me to drag myself signing in to blogger again, after all these years, is this very important and very short youtube video. So please take time to watch. 


I want to write down the points that lead the woman (from the audience) to a light bulb moment. 

Woman: I think I am trying to be loyal to the fact that I came from poverty. 
Oprah: What she has is a belief system that says I cannot really accept the abundance that is offered to me or that is available to me because I believe I have to remain loyal to my poverty.
Woman: People that I knew that had a lot of money, that was their identity. And I do not want to build an identity around money.
Oprah: The whole idea of having wealth is not letting wealth use you but you use it. The more money you get, it does not really change you unless you are the kind of person who is defined by money.
Guest: There is a difference between wealth and materialism, and many people confuse the two.


Aha!!! Did you just have the same light bulb moment as that woman? This idea of difference between wealth and materialism is now what I firmly believe in. But it took me some time and tons of readings to convince my thoughts that hey, it's ok to dream of being wealthy. It is ok to have lots of money. Cringe. Yeah I know, right?! Because money is such a sensitive and controversial topic of conversation on this side of the world. 

We, majority of us, do not talk about money on dinner tables with our family. Or maybe we do but it is mostly about our salary and how we get by the next days or weeks with all the utility bills, food, loans, education and other expenses we have to deal with. How we help to send our younger siblings to college, how we help our parents with the medication maintenance and their everyday needs during their retirement. But never about educating ourselves about finances! Yes, I am talking about financial literacy here. I do not mean only stocks, bonds, mutual funds but also budgeting, saving, proper investing. And we cannot start this conversation properly if we cannot recognize that there is a difference between being wealthy (and using that money to better ourselves, the people around us, and the community as a whole) and being materialistic (ending up being mean, greedy and proud). A thing is neither good nor bad. It is your action towards it that determines its worth.

So, it is okay to have money! Even lots of it! I hope this video has the same effect on you, too.

It does not stop on that recognition of being worthy of the possible abundance we can acquire but it is a big start!

May you have a wealth of thoughts, friends.





No comments:


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...