Sunday, January 13, 2013

Eat Pray Love

from Google Images
                                    
It is not my intention to give book reviews in this blog because I admit I am not good at that. Firstly, because I am not a wide reader in terms of genres. I only go for books on psychology, business, health, biography, spiritual, travel, and sometimes romance. I am more for the realistic ones with no offense to those who love fiction and fantasy. And, because I have this mantra that all things are good and beautiful and I'm not the one to judge which one is better or lesser than the other. Haha! So every book is good and I always have high respect for all authors.

As I have vowed to read more books this year, I started with this world-celebrated one. Eat Pray Love. I know. This is so lame. Is it just me who have not read this? But finally I've read it! I am ecstatic on this choice to start this year of my reading adventure. I've seen the movie first. I fell in love with it but the book is better, as everyone says when a movie version comes out. So here are the five reasons why I love Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. And please don't expect that there are other five reasons why I don't love it because there really is none. This is the one book that I have read from cover to cover with so much anticipation leaving no word unread. That's how much I love it.

1. Elizabeth Gilbert is brilliant, honest, and funny.
She definitely knows her craft. It is evident in her words. She cites other writers and philosophers, inserts history, talks about other people's stories interestingly and vividly. She is not embarrassed sharing her embarrassing tales and she is intelligently funny.

2. I love to travel.
Who does not? And this book gives a picture of Italy, India, and Indonesia - all the good stuff, which makes me want to go to these places, too...which makes me want to plan a year long solo trip, too... which makes me want to increase my travel fund... which makes me want to change my life plan and start seeing the world now instead of just traveling in the Philippines. Haha! These books. They sometimes confuse you so be careful on what you read. I bet those Twilight fans wanted to be vampires for once. 

3. I can relate to Liz.
Everyone loves reading something they can relate to. It's not that I'm a divorcee, in a depression, or in a stage of inner chaos. But sometime in my life I was in some kinda sorta inner chaos. She expressed all the chaos in words perfectly the way I wanted to define mine. Her seeking for real happiness which she confessed could only come from God (whoever or whatever we know Him or It to be) is something I am still in pursuit of. Her finding pleasures from food and company and love are things we all can relate to. Plus, I think we have the same mantra on seeing good and beautiful in everything and everyone.

4. The book is a true story.
As I have mentioned above, I am more into things realistic and this is a true story of downfall, struggles to get better, and success of a woman which means it can happen to me or to anyone, too. So this is something I can get inspiration from in my own journey.

5. The story has a happy ending.
This is not a fairy tale but it has a happy ending.  I love happy endings. Liz finding a love so sincere in the name of Felipe in the last pages of the book makes me giddy. Love really heals all wounds.


This is such a feel good book! 

Eat Pray Love!



Side note: I'm waiting for my next book which I purchased online yesterday. I'm excited! :) And oh by the way, thanks to Laiza for giving me a copy of Eat Pray Love. I now owe you a lot Laiza girl!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jemslou. Love your work! Always..hehe! - Melody H.

Ems Auj-Tam said...

Thanks Melai :) My works are unlike yours because you're way too better a writer than I am :)I hope u can blog too so I can have updates of what's going on in your days..


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...