Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Oh My Gosh, I'm in Boracay! (Day 1)

While it was raining in other parts of Panay Island, Boracay had a fairly sunny day. The sun was not so strong giving room for the clouds to balance the elegance of the skies. It was a perfect weather for my very first day in Boracay.

First up, we met up with Ate My who arrived from Manila the day before. We met again after almost two years and I was more than glad to spend that vacation with her. After lunch and check-in, we headed to the beach and started adoring the island.


"Oh my gosh, I'm in Bora!" This was the line I've been waiting to exclaim for months. I was repeating the statement until the next day when Ate My and Laiza corrected me because they saw signs reminding people to refrain from using the short cut. Using Bora instead of Boracay might hurt our tourism because there's another island somewhere in Polynesia called Bora Bora. Let's spread the news! :) And so, I had to restate my line but with the same (or even more) intense conviction, "Oh my gosh, I'm in Boracay!"

I didn't have expectations whatsoever unlike in my other trips. I was ready to embrace anything. But my friends have checklists! "Ok, so what's on your list? Let's do it!" Laiza originally wanted to spend the whole afternoon at Puka Beach so I decided to dress up a little bit. But the others screamed to try ATV! Ooopss... Was I not overly dressed? Haha! Never mind. Bring it on!

And so I did try riding the ATV. In fact, I had a flawless first round during the trial but I almost hit the piles of tires during the second round. Maybe I was 3 or 5 feet away from the tires. Not so close, right? But I panicked. Then I got out of the ATV and watched my friends finish their course. Then I was ecstatic to try again. I knew I wanted to do it. I told the crew I wanted to take the test again. But one started talking about not having insurance if I get an accident or if I get the vehicle a scratch. His tone sounded so unfriendly and his voice raised. Ok, I got his point. But did I not ask calmly? I knew it was part of his job but what he did was more than a warning. It really got into my nerves. 



There was no more time for me to learn. My friends were ready to go and besides, my heart was pumping all my blood to my head. My blood circulation was not normal anymore. I settled on joining the guide in a buggy (seemed like a bump car). I also did not want to pop my friends' bubbles by not joining the activity but I was still pissed upset while they were very focused on their rides. We stopped by a zoo and they were screaming excitedly with a monkey and a bayawak while I chose to sit and wait refusing to be photographed.

The next stop was an overview of the island where I started taking pictures because the view was just so amazing! 



I then agreed to join the girls for a photo. They were all smiling while I was still not ready to put a smile on my face but since I did not want to put up another awkward scenario, I posed with them. When I saw the photo after feeling a whole lot better, I laughed at myself! I should have just grinned a little. My face was so in contrast with their overwhelming smiles. Haha! But no, I'm not showing it to you. You'll make fun of me. You'll forget all about my happy faces and just remember the photo for the rest of your life and maybe you'll use it to pick on me. Haha! You still wanna see it? Hmmmm... Ok, for the sake of the story, here it goes...


Haha! I know. I know. The face of an upset girl in the middle of having-the-time-of-their-lives faces. :) Thank you friends for the decency of not posting this photo and giving me the honor instead. And thank you for knowing how to deal with my not-so-good moments. It means a lot. :)

After the ATV, we went back to the beach and waited for the sunset. Thanks to Boracay's beautiful sunset, I got reflective. Then I was ok. I started laughing. I took part in conversations. Then I got back to my normal state. :)


Lessons of the day:
1. When you have a passion but you know deep in yourself that you lack the potential, give in (at least at that moment). You'll have many other times to learn and try again.
2. Forgive. Forgive others and forgive yourself. There are really not-so-good days but it doesn't make you any less.
3. Stick with the group on all activities no matter what. You don't want them running after you and thinking about your issues when you're just really fine and the issues will just fly by anytime soon.
4. Smile on photos even when you don't feel like it or else you'll end up looking awkward and foolish. :) Learn the celebrities' trick then you can pout all over again when the camera is not on you.
5. Vacation is a blessing. Live the moment.

Photo Credits: Ate My, Laiza, Ate Doli

No comments:


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...