Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Do Talk To Strangers

When we were little, we were told not to talk to strangers. And now, books for grown ups tell otherwise. It is said that it boosts confidence. It develops our personality when we learn how to start conversations with strangers. And I add, it gives new appreciation of life.

While commuting on my way home, I was seated beside the driver of a public vehicle. It was kinda late at night. All I really wanted that time was to close my eyes, keep my mind at rest and was hoping to take a short nap during the ride. I've just closed my eyes when the driver started talking.

He was asking where my place was. But instead of being pissed off, I acknowledged his question and answered him back politely. You know why? Because he was so polite, too. Then the conversation continued. He started talking about his family. He was married with four children but his wife was in Japan working. She had not come home for 3 years. Their 4th grade child chose to study there to be with his/her mother. (I failed to ask if it was a daughter or a son.) Just like any other OFW, the wife sacrificed the joy of being with her family just to give them comfortable lives. The husband was left to take of their children. In the morning, he was a "house-band" and at night, he drove. According to him, it wasn't about money that he worked for. His wife provided more than enough. It was some kind of a diversion from his everyday role as a "house-band". He needed to do something for himself also.

I felt his longing. Three years! Omg! Even with Skype, the loneliness still seemed to be so unbearable. I suggested that maybe they could just start a business. (*Sigh*.. As if they hadn't thought of that. Well, I was just offering a thought. Maybe. Just maybe that one in a trillion chance they might have not thought about it. Hehe..) But he said that if they only knew how. (At these times, I wished that everyone had a rich knowledge on business so they'd not leave home to earn a living.) My heart was as if crumpled and my throat was tight. I felt for him. He seemed to be contented. At least that was how he projected. But I knew there were silent prayers that someday, their family would be completely together again. And I said the same silent prayer.

It was a whole different experience for me as I had everytime with a complete stranger. I love hearing other people's stories. It makes me admire the wisdom of people, get inspired by their stories, and at the same time it makes me grateful for the simple things that I sometimes neglect.

We'll never know who these strangers will be in our lives and what lessons they can contribute to our appreciation of human experience. :)


No comments:


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...