Thursday, March 25, 2010

Teacher's Dilemma




The school year is about to end and my heart is rejoicing! Finally, it's break time! Yeah, that's what I'm excited about but I'm going to teach this summer,though. It'll be my first summer career in MSU. :) But I'll have two weeks break still. Anyways, what I don't want about the end of the year is the giving of grades. I now can handle the "burden" of failing a student. The first time was really tough. I'm thinking of their parents. I know how hard parents work to send their children to school and it would be painful for them to accept their children's failures. I've seen how my mother was disappointed when my brother failed in one of his majors which meant another year in school for him. I've been considering that for so long up until I realized that it was a wrong point of view.

I should be more concerned with the student's future. If I'll pass him, the next one would be much harder. So I talk to students before failing them and offering another consideration of shifting to another course. But if they really are decided to continue, I just tell them to study harder and have a disciplined study habits. This gesture is applicable for fresh students in the university. But what about those who are about to graduate? This is the hardest part for me.

I give removal exams only for graduating students to give them reasonable chances to wear their togas and march along. After all, apart from the standards of my profession, it still is important to give humane considerations. So I give ample of time for them to be prepared. But there really are students who can't pass. It pains me. How have they neglected one subject which would delay their life's pattern? It's hard seeing them walking out of the office with their heads so bowed and shoulders so sagged. It's as if I've done something to make their next months miserable. How their parents must have been so disappointed.

If only I could make all things possible with my own hands..

No comments:


You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...